Jesus Shuttlesworth Tee
I recently wrapped up the illo for a new tee print created for a local sneaker & apparel boutique to honor Jesus Shuttlesworth and coincide with the re-release of the Jordan XIII (White/Black-True Red) sneaker this month.
For those unfamiliar with the Spike Lee film He Got Game, Ray Allen plays a high school basketball phenomenon by the name of Jesus Shuttlesworth. Denzel plays his father, and wears the XIII’s as his hoopy-shoot sneaker of choice, causing many to call them the “He Got Games”. Because of all of the obvious biblical references throughout the film, I thought it could be kind of cool to create a stained glass panel, and after doing a bit of research, found a style I thought suitable to use as inspiration.
I wanted to reference the film, but I also wanted to complement the sneaker, so I hit it with some green/yellow to complement the hologram on the heel, and obviously the red and black. The MMXIII (2013) is split down the middle to reference the XIII’s as well as the date. A lot of work went into this one, and although I’m happy with the result, I already know what I could improve with another stained glass illo, so there might be some future exploration there. Final artwork to follow and definitely expect a few shots of the final product when the shirt comes off the press!
Write Yourself logotype
This logotype (for a website that offers well-written cover letters tailored to your resumé) called for a clean script. Due to a small start-up budget and much room for improvement (see old logo - left), I tried to focus on working quickly and efficiently. After a page of very loose exploratory sketches, I wanted to develop a letterform style based off an “F” I had drawn that I really liked the shape of.
After developing a stacked type solution, I went through a series of sketches to tighten and refine some issues.
I wanted to add a flourish to stabilize the type and reverse the values so the logo could pop off a dark background, and still had to explore the dot over the “i”, so I did one last sketch-ploration, then it was off to the races in Illustrator.
"Great Day" re-visited
Great Day was orginally intended for a friend/freelance client, and my previous version wasn’t intended to adhere their specifications, so it’s time for round 2. The same initial sketch is still the inspiration, but this time around I was determined to start small in scale. I’m big on process, but rarely adhere too stringently to any developmental details. I knew I wanted to provide the client with both an asymmetrical and symmetrical solution.
After getting a rough general lay-out for each, the client opted to continue with the symmetrical design first. This time I started with 9 thumbnails, with little regard for a finished look, just to show where certain opportunities exist.
Next, a slight increase in scale (call ‘em toenail sketches) to figure out more spacial relationships, and develop a little more detail with a combination of everything that was working in the individual thumbnails.
The final solution will also see a diagonal treatment (like the original sketch) . Next, I invert the pos/neg space so that the one-color print will work with the shadowing I plan on using. I try to resolve the stroke shapes via sketching (in layers on a Cintiq - so helpful). The strokes here are particularly thicker than I intended, but give a reallly nice overall vibe to the piece. Unfortunately, I think a thinner stroke will better suit this one, so this will likely be toned down.
Currently, I am developing the type in Ai and I hope to resolve some issues and post updates soon, but this is definitely the part of the process that could use the most improvement. Translating from sketch to finished vector design offers so many headaches that only expose themselves while tugging on bezier-handles for hours.